skip navigation

Patients & Visitors

Patient Focused Care


Grady Memorial Hospital patients have access to advanced technology and a healthcare plan
specifically designed for their successful treatment and recovery. From admission until
discharge and beyond, Grady Memorial Hospital's teammates focus on exceptional care, close to home.
Grady Memorial Hospital, Five Oaks Family Medical Clinic, Five Oaks Medical Group, Rush Springs Family Medical Clinic, and Tuttle Family Medical Clinic are pleased to announce our new Patient Portal. This interactive web portal will empower patients and their families to take a more active role in their care by providing easy, secure access to their health information and online communication with Clinic staff.
| | Text Size: -A | A | A+

Our History

Grady Memorial Hospital History


The first doctor to establish a practice in Chickasha arrived in 1892. In 1904, Dr. W.L. Peters built the city's first hospital, which only had five beds and was actually part of this home.

In 1910, Dr. Walter Henry Livermore moved to town and built an updated hospital over the Dugan Department Store. Two years later, with the help of his new partner, Dr. D.S. Downey, Dr. Livermore moved the hospital to the newer building over the First National Bank. In 1915, the partners purchased the apartment building and turned it into a hospital. Dr. Livermore and his family resided in the building, along with nurses who were training to work in the hospital.

The Cottage Hospital was started in 1923 by Dr. L.E. Emanuel. The Great Depression hit Oklahoma hard, and families did not have the resources available to access even basic healthcare needs. Consequently, the hospital closed due to the economy at the time. However, at the Great Depression ended and the United States began to prepare for entry into World War II, Dr. Charles Ohl brought the hospital and reopened it as the Women's and Children's Hospital.

In 1942, during World War II, Chickasha lobbied the Army and obtained the rights to build Borden General Hospital, under the direction of the 49th Medical Unit. The facility was designed to hold 1,000 beds, but due to casualties of war, more space was soon needed.

Today, the site where Borden Hospital sat is now the home of Grady Memorial Hospital. In 1956, a bond was passed to raise the $930,000 necessary to construct a modern facility. GMH opened its doors to the community in 1959.

Through the years we have helped generation after generation reach better health. Our organization has been striving to serve the needs of our region since we were established. We here at Grady Memorial Hospital are loyal to our community and will continue to strive for excellence in healthcare.

Being part of the community has been an important goal throughout the years, and with your help and loyalty we can continue to provide health services that you can depend on.